Our Lady of Grace Parish Church/ Simbahan ng Simala/ The Church of Simala (Simala, Sibonga)

The Church of Simala:

The Church of Simala

The Church of Simala

Other Pictures of the Church of Simala:

 

Categories: Cebu, Cebu Archdiocese, Philippines | Leave a comment

San Carlos Seminary Chapel (Makati)

20140105-101227.jpg

San Carlos Seminary Chapel

20140105-101234.jpg

Interior of the San Carlos Seminary Chapel

20140105-101243.jpg

Main Altar

20140105-101325.jpg

Chapel Organ

20140105-101400.jpg

Holy Water

Categories: Makati | Leave a comment

Santa Monica Parish Church/ Simbahan ng Sarrat/ The Church of Sarrat (Sarrat, Ilocos Norte)

The Church of Sarrat:

Church of Sarrat

Church of Sarrat

About the Church:

Sta. Monica Parish Church, commonly known as the Sarrat Church, is a Catholic parish church in the poblacion (Brgy. San Leandro) of the town of Sarrat, Ilocos Norte in the Philippines, about 7 kilometers (4.3 mi) east of Laoag City, the capital of the province. It was built in 1779 and was originally known as San Miguel Church. The Sta. Monica Church complex includes the convent connected to the church by an elevated three-level brick stairway.

The parish church of Sta. Monica is renowned as the largest church in the whole Ilocos Norte province, most especially the length of the nave. In June 1983, the church was the setting for the grand wedding of Gregorio Araneta and Irene Marcos, the daughter of then President Marcos.

Construction of the Santa Monica Church was began in 1779 and took 10 years to construct the whole complex. Within the church complex is the convent that was built prior to the church in 1769. Known as Casa del Palacio Real, the convent was originally used as a chapel prior to the completion of the church and the bell tower. It was later used as the Presidencia Municipal.

A devastating earthquake hit the province of Ilocos Norte on August 17, 1983, which recorded a magnitude of 5.3 (MI) on the Richter scale and an intensity 7 on the Rossi-Forel scale. The tremor sustained a major structural damage on the church’s facade as well as toppling down the bell tower.

The church is made from red bricks built in Earthquake Baroque and Neoclassical architecture. Inside the sanctuary, the ceiling is a magnificent framework of wooden roof trusses, which number to around 480 logs of hardwood molave, 75% of which dates back to the 18th century.

With its rich heritage and intricate details of architecture, coupled with the other sets of criteria mandated by the National Museum Act of 1998, the Sta. Monica Church Complex was added to the list of Important Cultural Property of the Philippines. The members of the deciding panel included Architect Augusto F. Villalon, Fr. Milan Ted D. Torralba, Ms. Anna Maria L. Harper, Fr. Rene B. Javellana and Mr. Cecilio G. Salcedo. Unveiling of the Important Cultural Property marker was held on September 27, 2009 by the National Museum director and was witnessed by the local government officials.

Other Pictures of the Church:

 

Categories: Ilocos Norte, Philippines, Saint Monica | Leave a comment

Saint John the Baptist Parish Church/ Simbahan ng Badoc / The Church of Badoc (Badoc, Ilocos Norte)

The Church of Badoc:

The Church of Badoc

The Church of Badoc

Badoc Church

The Church of Badoc Photo Credits to BlauEarth

La Virgen Milagrosa:

La Virgen Milagrosa

La Virgen Milagrosa

About the Church and the Virgen Milagrosa:

Estimated to be 400 years old, the revered image of La Virgen Milagros de Badoc is enshrined and venerated in the more than 200 year old imposing brick-and-stone baroque Catholic Church of the Parish of Saint John the Baptist in Badoc, Ilocos Norte. Inside the church one will find the miraculous image of the Virgin Mary with the infant Jesus wrapped in her arms.

Countless miracles have been ascribed to the beloved image of La Virgin Milagrosa de Badoc which have kindled and heightened the veneration and devotion of the people from the Ilocos region for which the image was really meant. Realizing the intense and widespread devotion, the Diocese of Laoag proclaimed the wooden image of La VirgenMilagrosa de Badoc as the Patrones of Ilocos Norte on May 2, 1980. This church in Badoc was the pilgrimate site for the Great Jubilee Year 2000.

Badoc is the southernmost town of the province of Ilocos Norte and lies 40 kilometers south of Laoag City. Being the gateway to the province from the south, it serves as the show window of historic Ilocos Norte. The establishment of the town as a parish in 1714 was also the approximate start of the construction of the Spanish built Catholic church, known as the Saint John the Baptist Church. It is said that the place of the Isneg settlement, wherein the first Spanish missionary team also established camp, was the seat of the Christianization of the town. It was also in the place where the church was established and where the first mass was said by Padre de Alvarado, an Augustinian priest who was the spiritual adviser of the expedition led by the youthful Spanish conquistador, Juan de Salcedo. The first mass, which was celebrated on June 24, 1572, or more than two centuries before the construction of the Catholic church, was said in thanks-giving for the peace treaty between Salcedo and the native leaders and was also dedicated to those who were slain in battle. It coincided with the feast day of Saint John the Baptist, who was made Badoc’s patron saint.

Folks recounted that the huge and imposing house of worship, made of bricks and stones and roofed with Spanish-style corrugated clay tiles, was constructed under the Spanish forced labor decree. It was also said that not a single drop of water was used in the whole construction process. The concreting materials were made purely of sugarcane juice, which the natives contributed under the “family quota system.” Now, the church, already weather-beaten but unweakened by time and age is the sanctuary and shrine of La VirgenMilagrosa de Badoc, because it was found in the year 1620 by Badoc and Sinait fishermen along the shore of Lugo village. The image, encased in a wooden box, together with a life-sized picture of Santo Cristo Milagroso, the statue of angels and one violin, were given to the Sinait fishermen as their share from the mysterious discovery, Sincethen, the Sinait Catholic church has become the shrine of the Santo Cristo Milagroso.(Source: http://www.philippinesmyphilippines.wordpress.com )

Other Pictures of the Church:

Categories: Ilocos Norte, Philippines, Saint John the Baptist / San Juan Bautista | Tags: , | Leave a comment

Saint Nicholas of Tolentino Parish Church / Sanctuary of Santo Cristo Milagroso/ Simbahan ng Sinait / The Church of Sinait (Sinait, Ilocos Sur)

The Church of Sinait:

Church of Sinait

Church of Sinait

 

Church of Sinait

Church of Sinait

El Santo Cristo Milagroso:

El Santo Cristo Milagroso

El Santo Cristo Milagroso

About the Church and the El Santo Cristo Milagroso:

The Sinait Church is the Sanctuary of the Miraculous Statue of the Black Nazarene (El Santo Cristo Milagroso), fondly called by its residents as “Apo Lakay,” and a treasure of Ilocandia. History traces the life-sized statue to Nagasaki, Japan. It was sent floating in the sea by missionaries operating in secret in Japan (for fear of persecution during the Tokugawa Regime). It was found by local fishermen in the shores of Barangay Dadalaquiten, on the boundary between Sinait and nearby Badoc, in the year 1620. Fishermen from Badoc tried moving the box, but were unable to do so. Only fishermen from Sinait were able to move the box, which contains the Statue of the Black Nazarene. The fishermen from Badoc, however, were able to move the Statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary (La Virgen Milagrosa) that came with it–which was, in turn, unable to be moved by the fishermen of Sinait. They took the statues to their respective towns, hence becoming their patron saints. In 1656, with a spreading devotion to the Santo Cristo Milagroso due to its miraculous powers, the Black Crucifix was taken to the capital town of Vigan, since an epidemic was raging there and through the devotion of the faithful, many got cured. Because of this, it is considered as an intercessor of all kinds of affliction and sickness. In 1660 because of the growing veneration to the image, the faithful begun the construction of a permanent edifice to house it. It took the people of Sinait eight years to construct the church with funds provides by the Spanish Audiencia. Today the landing site of Apo Lakay still exists in Barangay Dadalaquiten, and is a place of pilgrimage for devotees.

Other Pictures of the Church:

Categories: Ilocos Sur, Philippines, San Nicholas de Tolentino | Tags: , , | Leave a comment

Saint William Parish Church (Laoag City, Ilocos Norte)

Saint William Parish Church:

Saint William Parish Church

Saint William Parish Church

Other Pictures of the Church:

Categories: Iglesia Filipina Independiente, Ilocos Norte, Philippines, Saint William | Leave a comment

St. Mark the Evangelist Parish Church / Simbahan ng Cabugao / The Church of Cabugao (Cabugao, Ilocos Sur)

The Church of Cabugao:

The Church of Cabugao

The Church of Cabugao

About the Church:

St. Mark the Evangelist Church was built from 1695-1696 by Father Andres Canalejo. Many reinforcements were done to the church’s structure after a lot of destructions. It has a baroque facade divided into two levels with a semicircular arched main entrance held by paired doric columns and blind segmented windows on the first level.

Other Pictures of the Church:

Categories: Ilocos Sur, Philippines | Tags: , | Leave a comment

Sinking Bell Tower of Laoag (Laoag City, Ilocos Norte)

The Sinking Bell Tower:

The Sinking Bell Tower

The Sinking Bell Tower

Other Pictures of the Bell Tower:

Categories: Ilocos Norte, Philippines | Tags: , , , | Leave a comment

Saint William Cathedral/ Katedral ng Laoag/ The Cathedral of Laoag (Laoag City, Ilocos Norte)

The Cathedral of Laoag:

The Cathedral of Laoag

The Cathedral of Laoag

About the Cathedral:

Laoag Cathedral, canonically known as St. William Cathedral is a church in Laoag City, Ilocos Norte, Philippines. It was built in 1612 by Augustinian friars to replace a wooden chapel. It is known for its Italian Renaissance design and its Sinking Bell Tower, which sinks into the ground at a rate of an inch a year.


St. William Cathedral serves as the seat or central church of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Laoag. Since Most Rev. Sergio Utleg’s transfer to the Archdiocese of Tuguerarao, the diocese at present is vacant. The diocesan administrator is Very Rev. Fr. Noel Ian Rabago and the cathedral rector is Very Rev. Fr. Policarpio M. Albano.

The church has an unusual two-storey façade, supported by two pairs of columns on each side of the arched entrance. The top of the façade holds a recessed niche that showcases the image of the city’s patron saint, San Guillermo (Saint William). It has windows made from capiz with wrought iron screens.

The cathedral was built to support a growing Christian population in Laoag, which was known as Ylaua at the time. The settlement was a mission detachment of Vigan during the Spanish era. The church was originally built using lime mixed with molasses for strength, with big stones, gravel and sand. Wood was used for trusses to support the roof, which originally was made of cogon grass and was later replaced with nipa. Much later the roofing was again changed to taleb, a corrugated galvanised iron sheet made with whole bamboo.

The church was damaged by hurricane in 1640, by earthquake in 1706, by fire in 1843. The church was restored in 1880. (Source: Wikipedia)

Other Pictures of the Cathedral:

 

 

Categories: Cathedral, Ilocos Norte, Philippines, Renaissance, Saint William | Tags: , , , , , | Leave a comment

Saint Pancratius Parish Church (La Loma Cemetery, Manila)

The Saint Pancratius Parish Church:

Saint Pancratius Parish Church

Saint Pancratius Parish Church

Other Pictures of the Church:

Categories: Manila City, Philippines, Saint Pancratius | Leave a comment

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. The Adventure Journal Theme.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 38 other followers